RESIDENTIAL & COMMERCIAL
- Concept designs & prelim advice
- Planning consultation & drawings to obtain planning permits
- Bushfire, BAL assessments & bushfire management plans
- Detailed building designs & working drawings for building permits
Using 3d design software John can create realistic concepts and perspective drawings to help you obtain a clear understanding of how their finished project will look and better communicates to authorities or certifiers the merit of each proposal.
We also utilise some of the latest technology with 3d laser scanning and point clouds.
Having this technology in house can save our clients time and money while providing higher quality and more realistic documentation.
Site responsive design: We design to suit site conditions and minimise any need for vegetation removal, excessive site excavations and we have a passion for use of locally sourced materials minimizing excess transport impacts.
Energy efficient design: our preferred approach is to exceed the minimum energy ratings required by the Building Code of Australia to reduce energy usage and energy costs to our clients. We do this with careful planning, orientation, material selection, utilisation of new methods, and 3d building design and energy demand modelling software.
Recycle: We have a passion for building restorations and used material reuse or repurposed. We minimize paper wastage though use of electronic mediums for concept and design distribution including building and planning permit lodgment.
- Developing preliminary designs and 3d concepts
- Liaising with council planning staff, council and private building surveyors re new projects
- Submitting and resolving council consent or building over easement consent applications
- Liaising with relevant authorities including shire planners, NECMA and Vic Roads officers
- Undertaking site inspections, taking site levels, and site measure up for extensions and new homes or other buildings
- Preparing working drawings.
- Submitting applications for planning and building permits,
- Liaising with structural engineer, geotechnical engineer, pile driving or other specialized contractors to achieve good result for client.
- Resolve illegal works and required rectification by, site inspection, investigating and liaising with council enforcement officers, measure up and documentation of illegal works, non-compliance items, documenting potential rectification works, preparing and sending corresponding with council municipal building surveyor, enforcement officer and private building surveyor.
- Provide regulatory advice and assistance to minimise on site problems with other consultants and to resolve potential problems with building surveyors/inspectors.
- Bushfire reports – BAL & BMO assessments and Bushfire management plans
- CONCEPT DESIGN
- PLANNING DESIGN
- WORKING DRAWINGS
- 3D FLYAROUND
- EXISTING CONDITIONS
- ENERGY RATINGS
- BUSHFIRE ASSESMENT
A Concept Design is the first stage in the design process and is a great tool if you want to build, or extend, or if you are interested in buying a block of land but unsure of the possibilities. Most builders can give you an estimate of the cost of a project from a good concept design that shows building areas, basic materials and dimensions. To get a concept design that will work for you, you dont need to draw a plan, but together we will need to gather relevant information including:
- A design brief outiling what you want from your building, including the design style
- Site levels, easements & other restrictions to assess building siting options
- Adjacent buildings and any impacts
- Bushfire risk, vegetation to protect or remove
- Views to maximise or screen
- Solar orientation
- Site access and services
PLANNING DESIGN / DEVELOPMENT PLANS
Planning Design Development Plans are provided to our clients after the concept plan stage when a development proposal requires a planning permit, and a detailed justification to demonstrate compliance with the relevant Planning Scheme. A typical example is for an application for 2 or more dwellings on a lot where an application for a planning permit must address clause 55 of the Planning Scheme including:
- neighbourhood character
- street setbacks
- design response
- daylight, overlooking & overshadowing
- car-parking etc.
At Carter Perspective we have developed a good understanding of planning issues, with many years local government experience enabling us to produce clear documentation and supporting information. We also have a good working relationship with local planning officers in our region. We work closely with our local town planning consultants to ensure your design and application present your proposal to council with the right supporting documentation to make their assessment easier and all with the aim to obtain a timely planning permit for you.
Working Drawings are the comprehensive detailed set of plans you need to obtain a building permit. They include floor plans, elevations, section, site plan, footing & framing materials and dimensions, insulation and energy rating info and must demonstrate that the proposal will comply with the Building Act, Building regulations, Building Code of Australia (BCA) or National Construction Code (NCC) and relevant Australian Standards. New House Plans also include floor & roof framing plans, electrical layout plans, BAL assessments, etc.
We can assist you if sub-consultants are required for other services such as soil testing or structural designs beyond standard framing & footing codes.
At Carter Perspective we are registered Building Practitioners with qualifications and experience in Building Surveying, Building Inspection, Building Design & energy ratings. We design and document the working drawings for your project and guide you in the right direction along the way. We have a good working relationship with local building surveyors in the region to help you apply for your building permit and resolve any issues that may arise.
- accurately capture site features, ground surface, trees and tree canopy, existing or adjacent buildings
- create 360 colour photos and take site or building measurements
- capture surrounding area up to 60m away to check overlooking distances, angles & privacy issues
- create 3d point cloud and import it to 3d design model
- create accurate scale site sections, elevations and 3d views to present realistic and accurate views of existing conditions and completed product
- accurate existing conditions plans
- realistic concept plans eg Dinner Plain house amongst Snow Gums, additions to Winery
- street scape elevations e.g. heritage or commercial projects
- accurate surface levels for designs on sloping sites
3D FLYAROUND OR WALKTHROUGH
A 3D Flyaround or Walkthrough of your project provides you with a added sense of realism and an improved understanding of internal & external spaces. They really help you understand how your building can look from various view points. At Carter Perspective we pride ourself on the quality of our designs and how we present them utilising the latest version of Autodesk Revit software. Our 3D fly around is an option available to you once we have completed your concept design.
EXISTING CONDITIONS PLANS
Existing Conditions plans are a valuable resource when planning a renovation, refurbishment or extension, or if you have undocumented illegal building work or simply older building works where plans cannot be located. We can undertake a site inspection and audit of works including 3D Laser scan of existing building and site conditions, documenting to scale existing works and providing you with a set of existing conditions plans, elevations and site plan.
Once the existing conditions plans are completed, it is then often a lot clearer understanding how the various parts of the building relate, if walls are load bearing or not, making planning for alterations or extensions much easier.
If we are documenting illegal works, we can also offer additional services to liaise with Council and a Private Building Surveyor to provide supporting documentation to justify the works, recommend rectification works and certification to seek to allow he works to remain.
Energy Ratings are required to be done for all new homes and larger additions prior to obtaining a building permit. The energy rating for a new home must show that the proposed design will achieve at least a 6 Star energy rating . At Carter Perspective we undertake the energy rating for you during the design phase, and adjust any component of the design to enhance any aspect of the energy rating and the buildings thermal performance. We are thinking about energy efficiency at the concept stage, reviewing orientation, window placement and materials, and we typically generate a preliminary energy rating for review with client, prior to progressing to final working drawings. We can discuss options for any improvements or specific design elements,widow types, eaves and screens etc or energy rating targets, and once upon completion of the design & energy rating we then produce the final report and energy rated stamped plans for application for your building permit.
BUSHFIRE ASSESMENT & MANAGEMENT
Bushfire Management Statements (BMS) and Bushfire Management Plans (BMP) are generally required to be undertaken as part of the Planning Process when building on land that has a Wildfire Management Overlay (WMO) or Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO). These assessments determine the likely bushfire threat to a parcel of land, and CFA access and water issues which then feed into the design process.
At Carter Perspective we undertake your assessment and use this information to determine:
- the best options for siting your building,
- options for establishing and maintaining a defendable space around your proposed building,
- determine the Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) construction type as per AS3959 Building in Bushfire Prone Areas,
- water and access requirements for CFA.
If your site is not in a WMO or BMO but still in a designated Bushfire Prone Area, we also undertake a Bushfire Assessment during the design phase to determine BAL level for your proposed building.
John Carter has more than 30 years of combined experience in development and building approvals, building design process, building inspection and project delivery in both local government and the private sector.
Member - Design Matters (The peak body for the building design profession)
Victorian Building Authority - Registered Building Practitioner: Building Designer DP-AD 44937
Building Surveyor Reg BS 1478
0439 653 302
Living and working in North East Victoria. Its easy to be inspired by your surroundings when your located in one of the most picturesque locations.